Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Angry over Countdown: Buy Pile Report

Oh man am I tired of standing up for DC's Countdown. Weeks ago, I wrote a whole post saying why we shouldn't be mad at Countdown because we were warned of what it would be like, and then the next issue tanked. Then, two issues in a row go alright, and I start saying how we should all think about jumping back on board of Countdown soon, since issue #26 is approaching. But this week's issue, Countdown #29, has made me hate this series again. There are so many problems with it, I can't even get it out in paragraph form, my anger has made bullet-points necessary.

- The Cover: "Blinding Brother Eye?" Brother Eye attacks Karate Kid and company, telling them they'd be staying with him forever! Oh, and Val Armorr looks more like old-school Hank McCoy -- he wears big goofy boots, you know!

- Capturing the Challengers: That looked like some fight the Challengers had with the Extremists, good thing it happened off panel!

- The Newsboy Legion: Really? Can Jimmy Olsen's story fall any farther? Really?

- They were sharks... : One issue Holly is fighting sharks, the next we have a sea full of mythic green scaley monsters? Doesn't DC have an editorial staff to check on these things from week to week? And I like how what Harley killed was back to being gray.

- Super Villains at a diner: REALLY? I know this is the DCU, but COME ON!

- Mary Marvel: I know she's supposed to be in a character arc, a downward spiral, but I haven't seen anything near the amount of evil she showed here. It was out of the blue. And who's power, exactly does she possess, that she can turn cows to fish? Teth Adam can't do that.

- Jokester dead already: What the hell? They finally inject some life into the Challengers' story but including an Earth-3 heroic Joker, a character with great potential, especially since learning that Duela is his daughter, and HE DIES? Why don't you just make a machine that will suck the fun out of everything, DC?

- Cross promotion: We got pages upon pages of wasted space, just so DC could promote their next two tie-ins, "Countdown: Arena" and "Lord Havok and the Extremists." Nobody wants your drugs, DC, so stop pedaling your crap around my schoolyard! If I want a book, I'll buy it, I don't need half an issue of wasted space just so I can spin-off.

Oh man am I hot over this junk.

No comments: