Thursday, November 8, 2007

Buy Pile Report: Everything but X-Men

Maybe it's just that I'm in a bad mood after my DVR and VCR BOTH refused to tape the Grizzlies' game tonight. Maybe it's just that I read some disappointing stuff.

Of the non-X-Men books I read tonight... check that, of the non-Astonishing X-Men books I read tonight, only Marvel's First Family delivered.

Fantastic Four #551 was an intriguing first part of a three-issue arc. Basically, Dr. Doom has returned from 75 years in the future to tell Reed Richards that he's created a utopia -- and it needs to not happen for the good of mankind. He's come back with what appears to be Namor and T'Challa in order to convince Reed. Personally, I think Dwyane McDuffie just wanted to make sure to fit T'Challa into every issue of his run.

This is the first issue of any McDuffie has written that has boasted any sense of mystery, and I am actually interested to see if this 75-year future Doom is on the level. My guess is that his traveling partners are androids, but what do I know?

The rest of this week was a wash. In Superman #670 the third part of the "Third Kryptonia" storyline has come and gone with no grand sense or scale. I was hoping this storyline would be an epic Kryptonian tale -- but instead we got a generic and under-developed villain falling under the pressure of way too many last children of Krypton.

To be perfectly honest, the only other book that deserves any mentioning is actually Countdown #25. Don't get me wrong, this was by no means a good issue... but in this episode two fairly big things happen: 1) Mary Marvel is delivered to Darkseid, 2) Desaad becomes FIRESTORM.

Now, Countdown's major flaw has always been that not enough things happen, and when they do happen, they seem out of left field. I don't know how Mary Marvel is suddenly on Apocolypse. I don't know where Desaad got his hands on Professor Stein. But the fact that these two things happen did perk my interest.

No comments: