Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Marvel Comics' library Online

I was incommunicado for most of the day yesterday, hanging out in northeast Massachusetts, but I wanted to just get some thoughts out on Marvel's announcement reported by USA TODAY, about them uploading 2,500 backissues to an online library. The Library is accessible for a yearly fee of $60 or a monthly of $10.

Now, the cost is really not so bad. Hell, I spend $15-25 bucks a week on new releases, so if you're someone who wants to backtrack and read all the issues of Amazing Spider-man or Fantastic Four, it makes sense.

My problem with this system is the same problem I have always had with Online comics -- reading comics on a screen just isn't very enjoyable. It's not the same as having an issue in your hands, being able to flip back and forth and back again through the pages effortlessly, being able to lie down and read in any position in any piece of furniture in the house.

I don't think computers are sophisticated enough yet to take the place of a printed comic. They may never be.

For the sake of cheap backissues, this service is good. But I get the feeling that major news organizations have the idea that this is the future achieved today -- and that's just not the case.

No comments: