Thursday, March 5, 2009

Buy Pile Report

I guess I was in a rush today, because I left a chunk of my Buy Pile on the shelves. I don't know what I was thinking, especially since I was really eager to read a couple of the titles I forgot about, like The Mighty #2 and X-Men: First Class Finals #2. So I guess some of the Buy Pile will have to wait.

But, I did make sure to pick up the very most important books of the year. For instance, the first book I picked up to read after work was Superman: World of New Krypton #1, and the writing team of Greg Rucka and James Robinson did not disappoint. The most important thing the issue does is establish Kal-El's status on his new world, both politically and physically, setting the stage for the next 11 issues. But, what the issue also does is bury the readers in foreshadowing. Supes spends most of the issue talking to his Aunt Alura and General Zod, the two presumable villains of the story, so I'm sure we're going to be able to look back at this issue in a few months for a few "ah-ha" moments. Whether you like this Superman status change DC is putting us through or not, this was definitely a must-read issue for any Superman fan.

Where "New Krypton" shows how to open up a series slowly (and effectively), War of Kings #1 begins Marvel's space epic with a bang. Actually, it opens with several many bangs, and most of them came off the fists of Gladiator. Writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning waste no time in bringing the noise, as this issue was 2/3rds throwdown between the Inhumans and the Imperial Guard. If there was one drawback to the issue, it was that I'm left feeling like this mini-series will lack the depth I had hoped for. The Shi'ar attacked the Kree, the Kree and Inhumans will apparently strike back, and right now that's about as deep as it feels like we're getting. That said, this issue was a clinic in how to write a great fight scene, the likes of which Brian Bendis really could have used in order to streamline "Secret Invasion."

I'll hopefully have more for you tomorrow after heading back to the comic shop. Until then, go out and buy yourself these two issues, if you know what's good for you.

No comments: