Saturday, April 19, 2008

New York Comic Con News Updates

So, due to staffing the scheduling reasons, I was not able to make the two hour trip down to the city for Comic Con. (Bummer, right?)

Anyway, since I am not there to bring you as close to the action as possible, I'm going to do the next best thing: As I read all the reports online from each panel, I'm going to get on here and point out what I think are the most interesting tidbits said.

This is going to be a running updated post, so check back here often.

1) Mondo Marvel Panel: THIS LINK. Not too much here other than Joey Q's same old song and dance. But, they did say that Mark Waid is joining the rotating cast of "Amazing Spider-man" writers. And now I wonder, how many other A-List writers are going to jump on board now to tell a Spider-man tale or two, now that there is so little long-term commitment involved?

More from Waid on the move is available HERE.

2) "Secret Invasion: Thor" was announced HERE. I've got to say, of all the "Secret Invasion" tie-ins, this one does look like one of the more appealing, if only because we're only two events removed from the last time Thor was impersonated ("Clor"), and I'm sure the Odinson won't be too thrilled about more impersonators coming a callin'.

More on "Secret Invasion"... they're starting to suck me in again... go HERE for more on the event, including news that I didn't know yet, there is going to be a "Secret Invasion: Inhumans" mini. The mini will supposedly account for Black Bolt's status, one of the bigger questions on my mind. There goes my wallet again...

By the way, fellow Journal Blogger Michael Woyton just pointed out something to me... The Pope just happens to be in town when Comic Con is... Coincidence?!?

3) DC Nation Panel: THIS LINK. The biggest news out of this one (or at least, what I think will turn into the biggest news, once the book is released since I'm optimistic) is an ongoing Power Girl series. She really could be a top-flight female character, in a DC Universe with too few, especially given the amount of depth and maturity Geoff Johns has given her of late. Unfortunately Johns won't be writing the series, but I am still optimistic.

4) Bryan Hitch Panel: THIS LINK. For the life of me, I don't know what the point of this was. I really wish I could have been in attendance to just ask Bryan "All you've done is tell us what a bad mood most of your projects have put you in, and how you have no idea what you're doing after "Fantastic Four." Soooo... what was the point, Hitchy?"

5) Make Mine Marvel Panel: THIS LINK. Dwayne Swierczynski talks a little about his upcoming plans in "Cable," and mentions the kid will grow up a bit, making specific mention of a "temperamental four year old." And while this is really the only way the series can go, I want to know just how old is Cable going to become? I mean, when he first hit the scene from the future, he was already (being very generous) in his late 40's with all that white hair and the scars. If this kid is going to grow up, are we eventually going to have Cable in his 60's still kicking rear?

6) DC Final Crisis Panel: THIS LINK. No revelations here on "Final Crisis," sadly. Just the same old listing of what's coming up, and the same old "It's only 50 cents!" when talking "DC Universe #0" ...

But one interesting tid-bit you can read more about HERE is that Gail Simone will be writing a new "Secret Six" comic. Whatever the woman touches turns to gold, so even if you don't know much about the group yet, you still may want to keep an eye out for it.

Meanwhile, at THIS LINK Dan Didio explains exactly what he means by keeping the "Final Crisis" tie-ins to a minimum. While only the few minis and one-shots will carry the "Final Crisis" banner, there will be other books taking place in the "Final Crisis" time frame without the banner. Further, there will be a "Final Crisis: Sightings" banner to show how the less important characters are functioning during the "Final Crisis" time frame. (I did my best to explain that, you can go to the link yourself if you need clarifying). Personally, I can see what DC is trying to accomplish by doing this, but I'll hold off on judging whether this idea will meet their goals of helping us consumers out.

7) Stan on Stan Panel: THIS LINK. It's official. Virgin has hired Stan Lee to create a superhero comic universe for them. Stan the Man will created 10 superheroes, complete with powers and backstories, to inhabit this budding Virgin Universe.

Not to sound sac religious or anything... but I don't know that Stan has 10 certifiable superhero hits to his credit, let alone the ability to create 10 brand new ones in the twilight of his career. OK, I love the guy, but past the twilight of his career. I mean, again, I give him plenty of credit for his heroes, especially Hulk and Spidey, but I also give Jack Kirby a heck of a lot of credit for some of Stan's creations and even more credit to other writers for filling out the personalities and real-world themes of the X-Men.

I think, if Virgin hired a guy like Geoff Johns or (even though I'm no fan of his) a Brian Bendis, they could accomplish what they are looking for. Stan isn't quite going to cut it anymore. Which is a true shame.

No comments: