Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Buy Pile Report: Heavy Hitters

Since I actually have a life tonight, with the girlfriend in town in T-minus 7 hours and 48 minutes, I decided to come into the office today early and get a jump on reading the biggest issues of the week. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to talk about the rest of my Buy Pile (which included Ultimate X-Men #94 against my own advice since I'm no good at dropping titles, damnit), but here's the biggest four issues of the week, with no spoilers since this post is so much earlier than normal:

We begin this showcase showdown with a look at DC's top-tiers, starting the Justice Society of America #15. For all of you clamoring for more action in this title, this was your issue. The entire thing is a knock-down drag-em out brawl between Gog (or not Gog?) and the whole JSA. And while last issue I had the same problem — how can this golden schmuck stay on his feet against the whole JSA? — there is a hint in this issue that there is something more than superhuman in play.

I warn you, also, the last pages of this issue may divide some of you. Frankly, I am not sure how readers are going to take it. This is the last issue of the "Thy Kingdom Come" arc, and the final few pages create a clear divide heading into the first issue of the next arc "In the Name of Gog," but at the same time, it is a continuation on what's going on now. I know there is a large population of fans that have been itching for Geoff Johns to get away from the whole "Kingdom Come" angle, and while this is a departure, I don't know if it's enough of a departure to satisfy. Now I'm just talking in circles. Anyway, I was pleased and now anxious for next month.

Shockingly, Justice League of America #21 may have been even better. I've been a big critic of Dwayne McDuffie's and yet, for the second straight month he has impressed me with smaller character driven stories. The first half of this issue is spent looking at Clark, Bruce and Diana in a secret room they built into the Hall of Justice's transports, simply discussing business and secrets. It was an interesting dichotomy, because they clearly acknowledge how they've in the recent past decided how it's not good for the three of them to be keeping secrets, but at the same time they can't help themselves even during this frank talk. It sets up a coming story resolving Vixen's powers very well, too.

Personally, I am no fan of how these three characters get treated as the be-all and end-all in the DCU lately, so I wasn't keen on the idea of these meetings, but McDuffie handled the scene well, anyway.

The second part of the issue was a look at the Human Flame and Libra's assembling of the new Injustice Society, all wrapped together with a decent fight scene against Roy and Kendra. Again, in smaller teams, McDuffie really excels. This was a capable lead-in to "Final Crisis," similar to the look at Libra in "DC Universe #1." It also, unfortunately, again hits readers in the face with the news that J'onn J'onzz needs to watch his ass in "Final Crisis #1," and that's just not cool.

On to Marvel! And, it should go without saying that Ed Brubaker was again on his game with Captain America #38. Just as I said last night, too, it's amazing that Brubaker can reveal big puzzle pieces in each issue, and yet the Skull's master plans are still so well hidden. Yes fans, we are told EXACTLY who this other Steve Rogers is. We're also given a tremendous character moment with Sharon meeting him, which I only kind of wish was given a little bit more art space for it to breath and build tension. You'll see what I mean.

Bucky and Falcon also get a good deal of action in this one, and again Bucky serves as narrator throughout the entire fight. While Brubaker has used this writing style plenty in the past few months, I find myself really enjoying being in Captain Bucky's head as he fights. Hopefully the narration will last through this entire storyline — and end on time just as Bucky is finally comfortable with his role as Cap (presuming it lasts).

Finally, on to the only book of these top four which I wish I didn't read. Hell, I wish I didn't read any of Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's four issues on this title. Fantastic Four #557 wasn't AS dreadful as the last isssue, but it was pretty bad. This nonsense with CAP is resolved in such a way that I feel like Millar views Reed as a superhuman being, for some reason. There's a certain remarkable speed Reed Richards can build something at, and then there's the unbelievable just stupid speed Millar employs here, in order to save the day. If you're a fan of Mech battles, you'll like this fight. Check that, you won't.

The best part about this issue was actually the irony of Millar's own uneven writing. He tells Alyssa here that one of the reasons he doesn't want to work with her in the future is because he doesn't like how secretive the billionaires are keeping Nu-Earth. Now, sure, there is a level of irony as a reader that makes you think "Wait a minute, Reed 'I built a secret Negative Zone Prison that I can't even tell my wife about' Richards is calling something too secretive?" But then there's another layer of irony when you say "Wait a minute! Mark Millar is the man that wrote Richards get that secretive in 'Civil War' in the first place!"

Even an intriguing last page has not kept me from questioning if I'll pick up this series until Millar is gone.

No comments: