Thursday, June 19, 2008

Buy Pile Report

Well, it was an awfully average week... which only made Trinity #3 stand out that much more. And no, not in a good way.

"Trinity" debuted with a lot of promise, as Kurt Busiek began the story on a cosmic level, showing each of our three heroes experiencing ominous dreams, before his grasp of their three personalties was shown off when the trio got together and discussed their differing experiences. It was all very strong.

The last two issues, though, have been less promising. While at least issue number two featured a couple of interesting moments (Batman's illusion, Wonder Woman's do-it-yourself personality), this third issue made me very scared that this series is going to suffer from the big bad "D" word -- Decompressed Storytelling. Issue #3 is one big fight scene... between a big alien and the Justice League sans Trinity. So, essentially this whole issue didn't advance the storyline. By the end of the issue our trio does show up, but they do so little that it makes you wonder why they couldn't just show up at the start of the issue and forget the whole "JLA gets their butts kicked" thing. And don't tell me it's so we readers can see how much more powerful the Trinity is compared to the rest of the JLA, because the only idea that makes the DCU work at all is the idea that the littler characters make almost as big a difference as the big guns.

I fear I've gotten off on to a tangent. My point is, I hope "Trinity" is not simply using issues like this to lengthen an average storyline into a year-long storyline. I have my worries.

But, speaking of how important the JLA is, Justice League of America #22 was pretty good once again. I am really starting to warm to Dwayne McDuffie's work. While his dialog is still a bit hokey for my tastes, the fact is here he effectively juggles several different story points, showing he is willing to leave some pots on the burner and bring them to a slow boil, while also effectively takes a past storyline and make it all his own.

In fact, my only really knock on this issue is the solicitation completely spoiled the end of the book. This issue was promoted as Amazo taking control of Red Tornado's new body once again... and it doesn't happen until the end of the book. I was just waiting for it, and waiting for it, and waiting for it, and finally we get Badass Amazo back in full force --- only to run out of pages. Were this book solicited more cryptically, it would have been a far more exciting read. Instead, it's average.

Secret Invasion Fantastic Four #2 was also pretty average. Not bad, per se, just very predictable. With the appearance of Ljya, it wasn't too tough to predict she would flip on Johnny, they would fight, but eventually they would somewhat reconcile. Well, there you go, issue number two of three is over. OK, it was a little more exciting than that. The tool by which Johnny reconciles with her is pretty fun, but this was a very get-over-to-the-big-issue sort of read. It seems in issue #3, Ben, Johnny and the kids are taking a trip to their negative zone neighbors. Until that happens, this book was average.

In fact, the only books I read this week that were above average were, again, the Ultimate Universe books. For Ultimate Fantastic Four #55, it was the sixth-straight strong issue, with this one focusing on the interpersonal problems the Fantastic Four have been feeling. Personally, I thought this subject matter has been long overdue in this book. In fact, it seemed like, 25 issues ago when Mark Millar took back over the book, he jumped forward in time from the team slowly finding their way into being heroes into being an experienced team. We readers were completely robbed of learning the team's feelings along that transition. Here, we're finally learning about some of those feelings.

Meanwhile, Sue Storm is going through some major personality changes. If you like the Ultimate Universe's ability to completely change accepted 616 continuity, Ms. Storm's current thought-pattern is up your alley. I'm a little bit more of a traditionalist, so I was a little worried about Reed and Sue's relationship... that was, until the final pages of this issue. Now I'm just excited for what Mike Carey has up his sleeve.

Ultimate X-Men #95 was a similar continuity curveball. If you want an example... there's a new mutant drug that amps up powers and it's called banshee. Cyclops takes it in this issue, and he enjoyed it. That's right, Slim Summers took the drug. But, unlike that Cable/Wolverine revelation from 20 issues ago that felt completely forced and boring, the continuity at play here feels like an organic part of the story. And, as is most important in an Ultimate story. It all just feels fun.

I am completely on board with new writer Aron Coleite's story here, especially since I have no idea where he is going with this. I thought I had an idea, and then I saw the last page of this issue. Now, I again am clueless -- and I love it. I cannot wait to see what comes next, and I strongly encourage you all to give this longtime loser of a title another chance.

Still, despite the Ultimate Universe bright spots (I still can't get used to that idea), this was an average week. Here's hoping better reads await us in 7 days!

No comments: