Friday, June 27, 2008

Black Racer vs. The Flash

I'm sitting here in the office with little to do, since my interview du jour fell through at the last minute. With all this free time on my hands, I did what I often do — lurk around the comic message boards and Web sites to see the latest news.

And, a DC panel from Wizard World Chicago talking about "Final Crisis" got me thinking again about that last page. If you haven't read the issue yet, you deserve to be spoiled for your tardiness.

Basically, that final page features Barry Allen running through time (either backward or forward, I don't know), he appears to be chasing after that time-traveling bullet, and he's being chased by The Black Racer.

Now, at the moment, I cannot perfectly recall Barry's initial death 23 years ago, and since I'm locked down to my desk for another couple of hours, I cannot go check. BUT, something about that page just hit me right now, and I actually haven't even seen this point brought up by anyone online yet:

Doesn't the Black Racer only serve as "Death" for "New Gods?" Isn't his soul job to return New Gods to the Source? I know there was that one time that he came for Steel, but that was a long time ago and plenty of metahuman non-New Gods deaths have occurred since then, and we've seen no sign of 'ole Racer.

So, I guess my point is, if the Black Racer is actually chasing Barry right here, and not simply the path of the bullet on its way to Orion's noggin, then what does that mean Barry Allen is?

Is Morrison trying to tell us something about our Heroes' celestial status becoming elevated? By the end of this mini-series event, are our heroes going to become New Gods of sorts? Frankly, I am still of the belief that a lot of the damage and repercussions of this story are going to be erased via time-travel by the final issue, but still, the fact that the Black Racer appears to be chasing Barry Allen is food for thought.

P.S. ... Whatever happened to Black Flash?

No comments: