Wednesday, June 4, 2008

This week's comic book expectations

The question on everyone's minds this week -- at least the minds of comic retailers -- is how big of a hit Trinity #1 will be? All we really know about DC's new weekly series is that it will be a 52-issue self-contained tale starring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. That's it. Well, that and the creative team of Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

So how many people will pick this first issue up? Just how good could it be? The difference here, as opposed to DC's first two weekly series, is, "52" and "Countdown" were both pertinent to the DC Universe as a whole. ... at least, "Countdown" was supposed to be pertinent. I mean, it's stories were literally retconned in the same week it came out at one point... but I digress. My point is, it will be interesting to see how many people are willing to shell out for a weekly comic that isn't a "must-read" sort of thing. And, can the story be worth it? We'll start to find out Wednesday.

On a more normal note, Justice Society of America #16 is also out on Wednesday, the second JSA offering in three weeks. This issue marks the beginning of a new story arc... even if the last story arc is still kinda going on. When last we left our heroes, they had cornered Gog who was suddenly disintegrated by... Gog?!? Yes, Gog. The real Gog. Apparently now, as the cover to this issue suggests, there is an enormous God-like Gog walking around.

Yes, it's kind of weird. On the upside, this is a definite step away from the whole Kingdom Come-ness ... even if we know from solicitations that this is all going to lead to a new Magog being born. For now, I'm interested to see what Geoff Johns plans on doing with this deity.

Of the three Batman titles coming out this week, the most interesting has to be the Robin/Spoiler Special, which promises to explain the whole sorted history surrounding Tim Drake's little friend. Detective Comics #845 is the last issue for the series before the tidal wave that is "Batman R.I.P." takes the series over for a while. Also, don't forget about Nightwing #145, which has just been super since Peter Tomasi took over.

Lastly from DC, I know nothing about what's going on in this series, but check out the solicitation for Supergirl #30:

Supergirl crossed a line no hero should, promising a dying boy she'd cure his cancer. Now she's prepared to break the universe's rules of life and death and betray the trust of two heroes in service of her impossible quest. Regardless of the outcome, there will be major consequences for the Teen of Steel!

Seriously? Supergirl has the power to do all that? I mean, if blondie could cure cancer, why the hell hasn't she done it already?!?

Marvel has a couple of big issues out itself, leading with Secret Invasion #3, a series which has been kept very nicely on time so far. Brian Bendis promises we'll be going someplace other than the Savage Land in this issue, after issue #2 was entirely confined in the Antarctic. That's not to say there's nothing interesting going on in the Savage Land, what with Ronin thinking Mockingbird is who she says she is and all of the New Avengers fighting with the old Avengers -- but in order for this big event book to work, we need to be given a bigger cross section of what's going on in the outside world.

Personally, I've always thought this Skrull Invasion is the best story idea Marvel has had in 15 years -- it's the only reason why I have bought any bit of it given how "Civil War" burned me -- but if all Bendis is going to do is show his own Avengers characters and say "Read the crossovers for the rest of the story," then he might as well have told this story within his own book. This should be a fantastic story, and I'm just not seeing it yet. I know, we're only two issues in, I'm being a bit harsh, but Bendis and Marvel are on a VERY short leash with me.

Invincible Iron Man #2 also drops this week, a series that actually had a very strong first issue despite the fact that I sincerely question why it exists. Honestly, Tony Stark isn't in enough books yet? And really, is this supposed to be a coincidence that the first story arc concerns the son of the Iron Man movie's villain? Really? I'm throwing this book in the "Amazing Spider-Man" pile of books I refuse to read. I fight on the side of good.

I'm very excited for Cable #4, after last month's big shocker final page of Cannonball walking through the door. Really, I'm a big fan of many of the story elements began last month, including the character of Sophie, who seems to be the perfect li'l lady for a John Wayne like Cable to settle down and raise a kid with. And, after re-reading #3 a few minutes ago, I've decided that Bishop has really crossed a line he can't come back from. I mean, killing men and justifying it by claiming they will never exist? Badass, my friends.

Finally, Ultimate Origins #1 debuts this week, written by our friend Brian Bendis. Apparently, everything in the Ultimate Universe is "All Connected." I want to know something -- what's the point of having a big mini-series revealing the origin of all these things when NOBODY HAS EVER asked what the origins are? It's the Ultimate Universe, plain and simple. We were given solid origins in the first issues of every series, we don't need anymore. Why would a whole Universe be connected, anyway? I'm sorry, this just seems like the most self-serving project I can imagine. It's Bendis just trying to add deeper meaning to his own work, by telling us there's so much we should be asking questions about. Nobody cares, Bendis.

Oh well, I think I might need anger management. Or, maybe I just need Bendis to go away. Anyway, enjoy the week.

No comments: