Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This week's comic book expectations

It's an unusually light week this week, with just a few choice DC comics to carry the week, depending on which of DC's top titles you read. HERE'S THE LINK to the full list.

The book I'm most looking forward to this week is JSA Special: Kingdom Come Superman #1, for a few reasons. For one, I love the character, and I'm digging the second half of this unwieldy JSA/Kingdom Come story. I'm also just thrilled by the fact that all these tie-ins exist this month, helping the storyline along to its December finish. And, finally, have you seen this cover? I'm guessing this is just an Alex Ross omage to himself, but if this is actually part of the storyline, what, exactly, is going on in KC Supes' head that he and Our Superman are fighting? This storyline has dragged on for much too long, but with the first of these three tie-ins, I'm still optimistic Geoff Johns is making it worth our while.

Speaking of Johns, Action Comics #871 continues the "New Krypton" storyline, and if you haven't been reading and you're a DC fan, then you are making a big mistake. It's obvious this infusion of so many Kryptonians onto Earth will have far greater implications than simply Superman's feelings.

There are two "Batman R.I.P." tie-ins this week (if you can call them that) in Detective Comics #850 and Nightwing #150, but I am actually more interested in Batman Cacophony #1, the first part in a three-part mini-series written by Kevin Smith. When Mr. Smith can get his stuff out on time, I think he's a pretty darn good comic writer, and I'm hoping the fact that this is a set three-issue job will get him to finish his job in a timely manner. Mostly, though, I am just kind of excited about a plain-old Bruce Wayne Batman story with an interesting sounding (no pun intended) villain in Onomatopoeia.

Out in space, Green Lantern Corps. #30 features the Purple Lanterns, when Guy, Kyle and co. travel to Zameron. I don't know about any of you, but I am loving how Johns and Peter Tomasi have divided up and conquered all the background info leading up to "Blackest Night." Between the two, we've learned all about the Red, Blue, and now Purple Lanterns, in addition to the Yellow and Green we all know and love. I'm eager to read what the Purples are up to here.

Also this week, keep an eye out for Black Terror #1, the first spin-off from the "Project Superpowers" universe. Frankly, I love the character and really think this universe created by Dynamite Comics has a shot at becoming a force in Superhero Comics. However, it's going to take all our support to happen. So, if you enjoyed "Project Superpowers," maybe add this to your pull list this week.

That's all, folks. I'm off to play some "FIFA Soccer 09: All-Play" on the Wii. Who knows? It could be good. I'll let you all know when I know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In the recent years we have seen the production of various comic book figures. We have seen Superman, Spawn, X-men, Spiderman, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, Hell Boy, Sin City, Transformers and the list goes on. These are just few, compare to what has been laid out regarding comic book movies. While watching these comic book characters come to life on the big screen, we have literally seen technology improve before our eyes.
-----------------
oliviaharis
smm