Thursday, February 14, 2008

Buy Pile Report

Life and work intruded keeping the Buy Pile off of the 'ole Gaming Geek blog up until now, but the post waits no longer.

OK, in all honesty, I'm exhausted right now, so I'm going to do this short, sweet, and to the point, in no particular order.

First off — remember all that good stuff I had to say about Tiny Titans? Well forget it. Tiny Titans #1 proved to be nothing like what I was hoping for. This wasn't Mini-Marvels, it was Nick Jr. Check that, Nick Jr. is too grown up for Tiny Titans. I don't know what age group DC was aiming for on this, but they missed.

Fantastic Four #544 was a mixed bag. I am intrigued by the storyline. The idea of Reed getting involved with this second Earth, "where we will go when the Earth dies," is LOADED with possibilities, and I would expect nothing less from Mark Millar. The subtle touches Bryan Hitch brought to this issue were great too. At the same time, Johnny Storm was nothing but a stereotype, Reed was nothing like the evolved man of the 21st century he has turned out to be, and I don't know how a writer that claims to be such a huge fan of these characters can continually try so hard not to write them accurately.

I actually re-read all of the Justice League International issues right up and through "Zero Hour" recently, so reading Booster Gold #0 was a little thrill. I do stress little. For a "crossover issue," this had very little "Zero Hour" in it. What it did have was great interpersonal writing from Geoff Johns and Jeff Katz, and not so good storyline writing. The whole time-travel thing got a bit confusing in this one, and I don't know why anyone would be surprised that time changed so drastically now that Beetle is alive.

I was pleasantly surprised by X-Force #1. I don't like Wolverine. I don't like the 1990's blood/action-first style that this book seems to belong to. But Wolverine seemed like a three-dimensional character in this one, and the art style was perfect for a book like this one. I don't at all agree that Cyclops would ever make this team or treat Laura (X-23) like he is treating her, but for now I'm giving this book the benefit of the doubt.

Green Lantern Corps. #21 really was not a bad book. — a story about the most prominent of these new "Alpha Lanterns," showing how the humanity has been stripped from her. However, this fill-in-writer story came at the wrong time for the series. It had just used that post-Sinestro War popularity to push the book into a higher-echelon in the DCU, and now they risk losing those new readers. Hopefully the newbies don't stop buying the book waiting around for Guy Gardner and Kyle to come back into the fold.

That's it for me this week! I'm sleeeeeepy.

No comments: