Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This week's comic expectations


I think there are just two books that have really caught mainstream attention this week, and they couldn't be more different.

The first, and most child-friendly book I'm pretty sure I've ever previewed, is Tiny Titans #1.

Yes, the Tiny Titans, you heard me. Call me crazy, but I don't think I am the only one who is really expecting this book to be a light-hearted smash hit.

Remember the Mini-Marvels? Those Peanuts-esque Marvel heroes you just can't get enough of, since they only have about one strip a month? Well that's what this is, only Titans-centric and MUCH more of it.

I'm not sure if this idea is going to get old fast, but I really am looking forward to seeing what this first issue will do. From what I've read, each issue has several different 4-6 page stories, so we'll get a good sense of what to expect from this series in a hurry.

At worst, this will be a great book to buy your first-grader just learning to read. At best, I really think this book might appeal to all ages.

The second book everyone has anticipated is Fantastic Four #554, the first by the creative team of Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch.

I'm torn on this one. I love Hitch's art, but have not quite been won over by Millar. His characterizations of Marvel's "First Family" were way off base during "Civil War," and I'm not nuts about his already-announced idea to crossover Fantastic Four with Wolverine sometime soon, just because he is writing both.

Still, you cannot deny that Millar has had his share of great comic book ideas, and he seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for this project. Here's hoping he can return the book to its latest greatness, under Mark Waid.

But those two are not the only anticipated books out this week, just the two that dwarfs the others. We also get Booster Gold #0, the best book not enough people are reading, a crossover with the 12-year-old event "Zero Hour." There is also X-Factor #28, the first issue after "Messiah CompleX," setting this series up with its new direction. And let's not forget Countdown to Final Crisis #11, which has really picked up steam in the past few issues.

It's a something for everyone kind of week, so enjoy it!

No comments: