Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This week's comic book expectations

It's 3:30 a.m., I'm eating Cookie Crisp from the box, Mountain Dew from the bottle, and I only just got back from Long Island a little bit ago ... and you people still expect me to tell you what to look for on the shelves this week? Selfish!

OK, I'm not in such a bad mood. I actually just found the perfect Christmas gift for someone online (yes, I start early), which I'm pumped about, and I'm listening to the bootleg recording from the July 18th Billy Joel Shea Stadium show, which I am still pumped about two months after. So, I guess I'm up to talking a little comics.

First off, HERE'S YOUR LINK to the week's release list. And actually, the first book on that list is the one I am most excited about this week -- Action Comics #869. Despite the fact that last month we saw Brainiac in action for the first time and his super strength seemed a tad bit generic, Geoff Johns has been weaving a masterpiece of a story arc here, and in the penultimate issue (there's that geek word again), I'm hoping we see Kara score a little payback on the big greenie... even if she's probably going to get her butt kicked harder than her cousin. And if the prospect of a huge Brainiac vs. Kryptonians throwdown doesn't excite you, then hows about that cover?!?

On the other end of the publisher spectrum, Mighty Avengers #18 is the main "Secret Invasion" book of the week. Of course this title and "New Avengers" have been just as important (if not more so) than the main "S.I." book, so if you're interested in learning more about what Nick Fury and his secret warriors have been up to, be sure to pick this book up.

Also of note on the "S.I." scene this week is War Machine: Weapon of SHIELD #33, with Jim Rhodes taking over the title of the book from Tony Stark. On the one hand, I'm thrilled that we're getting rid of one of those Iron Man books, because there was too darn many of them coming out each month. On the other hand, I'd be shocked if a book headlined by Rhodey lasted all too long on today's comic landscape. And more importantly, the emergence of this title is only amping up the speculation that Tony Stark is not making it out of the Invasion alive. Personally, I think he's going to end up a Skrull captive as part of a bargain or something, but really, do we want Tony Stark to die? Hasn't there been a little much of the whole dying thing lately?

I'm very excited for Robin #178 this week, as we're still in the dark as to who this "Red Robin" is, and what role he plays in the new landscape of the Gotham hero scene. And yes, I know I just used "Landscape" in two consecutive paragraphs.

Finally, there are a couple of new titles this week I could really give a damn about (not counting "Marvel Apes #2"). DC Universe Decisions #1 is one of those books. Who is this book for? What audience really is saying to themselves "Wow! I like Politics! I like Heroes! This is awesome!" Honestly, DC, you couldn't have spent these pages on a better mini-series? Age of the Sentry #1 is another book I could care less about. I get it, Marvel, you think you're slick with your "Oh, he was always around, we all just forgot! (wink)" -- well the character has blown pretty hard so far in my opinion, so I don't care to read some secret old story. This whole thing has been done before, and let me tell you, I can't believe I'm saying this but "Triumph" (DC in the early '90s) was a better hero than 1,000-suns boy.

OK, I'm done ranting. Happy reading everyone, I should have time to get to the Buy Pile Report on Wednesday night, so don't go thinking my absence last week is becoming a trend.

No comments: