Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Three Red Lights...

It finally happened. After a couple of years of luck, last night, at 2:48 a.m. (eastern standard time), in the middle of flying the BatWing on "Lego Batman," the infamous Three Red Lights made my innocent little Xbox 360 their home.

At first, it just seemed I was having problems with my video. The screen kept bugging out with fuzz and color bars, but would right itself when I paused the game. I tried unplugging and re-plugging my A/V cables to no avail. So, I tried simply shutting the system down and turning it back on ... which is when I saw, for the first time in person, the Three Red Lights.

And let me tell you something, the only thing worse than seeing that Red Ring of Death is hearing the cheery automated voice on the Xbox Support Line. Honestly, would you send that happy guy to a funeral? No! So why is he talking to me when my Xbox just died?!?

After talking to the automated jerk for 15 minutes, only then did he tell me Xbox Support is not a 24-hour service so I should call during business hours, which I did today at noon.

I pleaded with the customer service guy, Bob, to help me out with expedited shipping, since, you know, I'm a big shot video game reviewer. He believed me at face value that I needed my Xbox for work... which only said to me that he didn't believe me at all and was just humoring me. Either way, I was told I would get an overnight shipping label in my e-mail today. We'll see how that goes, I might need to call again and harass some more.

So, for the time being, I am stuck. And on such a busy impending week. Damn Red Lights.

No comments: