Thursday, May 3, 2007

Buy Pile Report

I have to say, I skipped the whole "Planet Hulk" thing, on the basis that no Hulk ongoing could ever get that good -- I mean, it's just "Hulk Smash!", right?

Well, after reading the World War Hulk Prologue and Incredible Hulk #106, I may be going to buy the "Planet Hulk" collections after all. It's not that these issues were so far-and-away awesome. There was, in fact, nothing that special about either. But both were very effective in what they tried to do.

The Prologue effectively introduces new readers (like myself) to the Hulk's new compadres, and tells you what you need to know so that you understand why this time it's more than "Hulk Smash," this time the Hulk was really really wronged. So it will be the biggest "Hulk Smash" yet!

And I just love whenever Chris Giarrusso's "Mini Marvels" do anything. I would love for them to get their own monthly.

Incredible Hulk #106 then shows how the battle lines are being drawn on Earth, where the Hulk is about to land, and we see that some of Big Green's old Defenders pals may be helping him get a little bit of revenge. I am not as familiar with Greg Pak's writing as I could be -- but his ability to weave storytelling with humor in this issue is a big reason why I may be picking up the old "Planet Hulk" stuff.

As I've said before, I am very skeptical of Marvel Events lately. BUT it looks like at least the core "World War Hulk" books will deliver this time around. Its the accompanying titles like "World War Hulk: Gamma Corps" that you may need to watch out for.

I'll run through a couple of other titles much quicker, I promise --and again, there are SPOILERS here.

For 20 issues I've loved Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. I even loved issue #21 -- right up until the part where it looks like Cyclops died. I say there is no way in hell Whedon would be allowed to kill Scott Summers in the quick way that he did, in a plane crash with no blaze of glory. Still, I've seen stranger things happen -- and there is a bit of foreshadowing to it earlier in the book when Emma says "God knows the team is going to need some new blood soon."

My prediction is Scott wakes up with his powers and kicks some ass. Joss seems to like Scott's character too much to kill him for shock value.

Oh, and Kitty Pryde just keeps climbing the ladder of coolest female heroes.

Lastly, 52 #52 was not at all what I expected -- but anytime you get to see Booster Gold saving the Universe (excuse me, Multiverse) with the help of TED KORD, it's a good issue. There was not as much tying of loose-ends as I would have hoped for, and it seems they could have taken some time away from the Mr. Mind stuff to do so.

The "return" of Ralph and Sue Dibny may have been the moment of the series... or at least Top 10 moments.

Still, if you're not a Booster Gold fan, there is really not much reason for you to pick this up -- 52 ended for all intents and purposes with World War III.

So what did you all think of this week?

No comments: