Wednesday, May 23, 2007

First Buy Pile Report: Countdown

So, I only just now got into the office, and I've only really had time to read one issue before work must begin, so I chose to read "Countdown #49."

And while I wasn't planning on writing the weekly Buy Pile entry until after work, after reading Countdown, I could not resist. if you haven't had time to get to the store yet, since this is so early in the day, I'm warning you right now to put the ole' SPOILER Earmuffs on now.

Ready for the MAJOR SPOILER? Here goes...

Black Adam is Back. Yes, back. Already. The main villain at the end of "52," the one who was only de-powered six weeks ago (in real time) in a thrilling and original way -- he's back. Already.

Now, I know "52" took place a long time ago in DC Universe time. I know in that time frame Black Adam has probably already spent over a year wandering around as a powerless schlub. BUT COME ON! Are there really so few characters in the DCU that they have to ALREADY give Adam's powers back?

The (eventual) return of his powers was supposed to be a long-time coming revelation to capitalize on a major event YEARS down the line. It would be poigniant and meaningful -- six weeks is not years down the line.

Other than Black Adam's quick return, though, this may have been the best issue of Countdown yet. Between Jimmy Olsen's umm... condition (did he drink Gingold or something?) and the Pied Piper's deception (making that Rogues story 100% more interesting all of a sudden), I am stoked for next week already.

BUT, I do have to say, I am not a fan of cliffhangers coming weekly. Last week it was Killer Croc. This week it's Black Adam descending onto Mary. Cliffhangers are good in moderation. Just like donuts and cookies and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now put down the Chicken and Biscuit Bowl and stop with the cliffhangers!

The rest of the Buy Pile Report is still to come later on tonight, once everyone has had a chance to read.

No comments: