Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Heroes Report on "The Hard Part"

One of the things that has made "Heroes" such a fantastic show is the director's and writers' ability to make big moments happen in the right way -- the realistic way.

Late in "The Hard Part" we're given a perfect example of this, in the way they handle Peter's first contact with Ted Sprague. It's so nonchalant that it was easy to forget that moment NEEDED to happen in order for the whole exploding-man thing to happen. And seconds later that understated style pays off, when Peter's hands slowly start to glow and the little light bulb goes on in the heads of the audience. My own personal realization moment went something like this: "OH shit, That's right, those two never met!!!"

Overall, I felt this was a well-paced scene-setter sort of episode. And while you may knock it for a lack of major events, I'm willing to bet Mohinder's whole part in this episode, curing this girl "Molly" who can find ANYONE, will turn out to be a major part of season two. Mohinder has to win the dunce cap this week for doing so, though. Yes, I know he's eager to stop Sylar -- but how does he not realize he just gave the bad guys a way to located ANYONE at ANYTIME???

And speaking of Sylar, the other thing this episode accomplished was rounding him into a more complete character. I really believed his tone of voice when he spoke of reforming and simply wanting to be like everyone else. I don't know if he would have ever stuck to that thought, but when he realized just how dangerous he was, I really believed that character could be feeling remorse. Unfortunately, watch boy has a Mommy-attention complex...

Other thoughts:
1) I have a bad feeling for my girl Candice... not only does she have DL and Nikki/Jessica coming after her, but Sylar does need SOME way to look like Nathan in order to "become President," right?
2) It looks like my wish of Micah becoming an evil genius is not going to happen.
3) It never occurred to me that Eric Roberts makes contact with Nathan... it should have been obvious, but I never realized it... and is it just me or does Eric Roberts' wardrobe make him look like Ming the Merciless from the "Flash Gordon" movie?
4) I would guess that Nathan is going to swoop in and have a part in stopping the bomb at the last minute, only that is starting to look too obvious...
5) Sylar painting with blood was GENIUS! He needs his own PBS painting show... I can see him now painting 'happy little trees' along a river... in blood...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you noticed in last week's episode, Sylar demonstrated the abilities of the people older Hiro said he turned over to Claire's Dad including DL and Candice. I guess older, evil Parkman was turning them over to Sylar.

Mike Benischek said...

I didn't put 2 and 2 together to notice Sylar had DL's powers too in the future, but you're right... I just wonder how much of that episode was setting the roadmap for the future and how much was a purely "What if...?" story. These writers do like to foreshadow, what with two characters who can paint the future now.