Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This week's comic expectations

So what major things are going down this week? Not too much.

It's the second part of the "Amazons Attack" tie-in with Wonder Woman #9. Frankly, I was disappointed with the first part of this crossover, as the whole thing just seems completely unsolicited. All of a sudden the Amazons decide they need to change their peaceful ways with man, just because Diana was captured for a bit? There seems like there's a whole lot more there, but unless this issue, and the subsequent second issue of the "Amazons" main title, doesn't hook me, I may be cutting my Amazon's Attack losses early.

It's also the second part of the "World War Hulk" prelude, with She-Hulk 2 #18. I was pleasantly surprised with the first WWH She-Hulk issue, and the WWH: World Breaker prologue in general, so I'm eager to see how this issue sets up the impending return of the Jade Giant to Earth. And, apparently Jennifer will be kicking some Shellhead ass...

And yes, the biggest story of the day has to be Captain America #26. Regardless of how you feel about whether or not Steve Rogers should have been killed, and regardless of how you feel toward Marvel's current practices as a whole, I'm telling you that this storyline is one you don't want to miss. Ed Brubaker is not the sort of guy that is going to go kill a character like Cap without a great reason to, and he really won me over with how he handled the death in issue #25. Now we have a great cast of heroes -- Sharon, Winter Soldier and Falcon, all looking to solve the mystery of Cap's death and avenge him, but for all different reasons. And if you read #25, how can you not be dying to find out exactly what happened with Sharon and Steve? Did she really shoot him?

Anyway, as I said, it's not the biggest week but it's a solid one, and I'm eager for it.

No comments: