Tuesday, May 8, 2007

This week's comic expectations

As I said in the last post, there's not much to this week, other than Countdown #51 (the 52 issues are counting down to Zero, if you didn't know).

I'm looking forward to New X-Men #38, the series is hit-and-miss each issue, but with this "Quest for Magik" arc underway, I'm optimistic. The kids have been sucked into Limbo, and Belasco wants to get to them... I'm still torn over whether I want Magik to comeback for good, as I was a real big fan of the original character. Still, it might be cool to have the "House of M" Magik, because it would bring Illyana back without ruining her past stories -- much like how DC has several Flashes and Blue Beetles.

Also, New Avengers #30 is out this week, and there is talk that the big "Who is Ronin?" reveal is coming in this issue. Frankly, I could give a damn. If Ronin is really so tied to this big Marvel 2008 event, then I'm not too excited for this 2008 event. Still, the six-page preview from the issue was pretty good, as it brought up the question of, What exactly are the New Avengers trying to accomplish?

But yes, the story of the week is Countdown #51. To be perfectly honest, the several storylines that have been mentioned thus far -- with Ray Palmer and Jimmy Olsen and Mary Marvel -- I am not too interested. But who doesn't trust DC's "Weekly Comic Machine" at this point? DC has also claimed that, unlike "52," which was dealing with the story of what happened in the lost year, "Countdown" is the story of what is currently happening. I like the idea of a weekly book serving as the place to go for current events.

As always, the Buy Pile report will come by Thursday night, and your thoughts on what you read are welcome!

No comments: