Thursday, June 7, 2007

Buy Pile Report

So, last night I told you in the Weekly Expectations that I was seriously considering dropping Uncanny X-Men from my buy pile for the first time in three years. I decided later on that I would indeed be passing this first issue of a five-part arc.

I realized less than 24 hours after deciding to drop Uncanny that I had made a mistake that had nothing to do with Uncanny. Instead I realized that, in my heart, I belonged in the X-Men Universe. As soon as I realized that, I contacted Uncanny to let them know.

Any Billy Donovan fans out there?

Anyway, very light buy pile for me this week, especially since I was mistaken in regards to Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #13. Apparently the issue was pushed back by two weeks, and will now be released on June 20th... bummer.

I ended up buying Uncanny X-Men #487, and I'm glad I did. While this one was far from being a "must buy" for casual fans, there was enough in this first issue of a five-part arc to get me interested, even though the cast of characters on the team nowadays (Warpath, Prof. X, Nightcrawler, Storm) bore me.

I was mostly interested because some classic Morlocks have returned, with Masque leading, and they claim to know of a prophecy that will return mutations... and who can turn down a good prophecy? I'm also pumped because three characters that were prominent in the old Louise Simonson X-Factor series show up, Caliban, Leech and Skids. Yes, Skids! Sorry, Rusty Collins is still dead.

The only other thing I picked up this week was Countdown #47. Unfortunately, it was about the most irrelevant issue yet. More mystery with Jimmy having a somewhat super-human dream, more Monitors babbling and arguing, and more of Trickster and Pied Piper getting close... kinda boring stuff.

It would have been better had we all not already known that Mary Marvel would be getting her powers back in this issue, given to her by Black Adam. But we knew that was coming for 2 months, so it was a ho-hum moment.

One curious aspect of it, though. Adam uses the word "Shazam" as a way of giving her powers... wasn't that word changed for good? Can it be that Billy Batson gave Adam back his word? No, I didn't think so. Then is it possible this is just someone else posing as Black Adam? That sounds about right... maybe even Eclipso, seeing as Mary was paired with Eclipso in Countdown Promos...

Well, a boring week for me. If anyone read anything great that would brighten the week for everyone else, please feel free to share your thoughts with the class.

No comments: