Friday, June 22, 2007

"Manhunt 2": Should it be available?

So, in Saturday's Gaming page, we ran a story about how the production of "Manhunt 2," Take Two's Adults Only rated video game, which was intended for the PlayStation 3 and Wii, has been suspended. On the one hand, it makes sense, since Sony and Nintendo both have a policy of not producing Adult rated games for their systems, and major chain stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart wouldn't stock the game.

But since it makes sense monetarily for Take Two, it doesn't make it right. The question is, should Adult rated games be readily available for those mature enough to purchase and play? They are already available for the PC, and it seems to me that they should be available on all consoles as well.

What are your thoughts? Should Adult rated games be available? Should they simply not exist, so there is no chance of those too young getting their hands on the game?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

In a word, yes. Unquestionably. Absolutely. As I've written in my blog and in a letter to the Community for a Commercial-Free Childhood (which has waged war on Manhunt 2), the game should be readily available for us to play. Whether it ends up in the hands of minors or not, is entirely up to the retailers and more importantly, the parents. I'm tired of companies, as well as the consumer, having to take it on the chin because parents can't take any responsibility for what their children are watching on television or playing on their gaming consoles.

I'm also offended by the Big 3's collective stance that games rated "AO" aren't permitted on their consoles. I'll decide what I want to play on the console that I bought, thank you. At least this isn't an issue in PC gaming.

I haven't played the first Manhunt, and not sure when I will, or for that matter, this sequel. But I think preserving freedom of expression in gaming is very important.