Sunday, June 17, 2007

Critics don't know us Comic Geeks and shouldn't try to

Yesterday, I hit up Rotten Tomatoes to read what all the critics had said about "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," a movie you all know by now I loved for the simplest of reasons (look below for the review!)

As of today, the Fresh scale of the movie is just 38%, which I'm not shocked about, before I went to the movie I had seen the low scores from several reviews. What I didn't do before seeing the movie, was read the reviews, for fear of being Spoiled.

I read them yesterday. And I have a bone to pick.

Most of the reviews included a phrase like "For comic book fans of any age, it is an atrocity."

To that I just have to ask, who the hell are these reviewers to say what "a comic book fan" thinks? Obviously, most of these people are not such fans. If they were, they would see that us comic geeks loved how the characters we've loved for decades were faithfully brought to life on screen. In the first film we got Johnny and Ben, in this one we got faithful representations of all four heroes and the Surfer. They would also know that, except for a very small minority of us, we realize the classic look of Galactus would be ridiculous on screen.

These are the same people that claimed "Spider-man 3" and "Batman Forever" were comic book fan crack.

I tend to have a phrase for people when they tell me how a movie was reviewed so well or reviewed so poorly: "Critics Know Nothing." As in, they know nothing of the real reasons why we love movies. They're all so busy taking themselves way too seriously to enjoy very many flicks, especially when they are not intended to rival "Shawshank Redemption" of 'Schindler's List."

In the future, reviewers should stick to telling us how the lighting in the ninth scene of the second act of a movie completely ruined it for them, and we can handle deciding what us comic fans enjoy.

No comments: