Sunday, April 8, 2007

American Gladiators

Inspired by the revival of "American Gladiators" in rerun form on ESPN Classic (every night at 7 p.m. and 1 a.m.), I dug out my old 1991 'American Gladiators" Nintendo cartridge earlier today before coming into the office.

if you remember, the game was enjoyable overall, but The Wall was darned near impossible, making it so I never saw what the vaunted Eliminator looked like. Well, today I gave the Wall another shot -- maybe my last shot ever if I could not conquer it even as a full-grown man.

17 tries later, my pixelated little contender stood on top of that Wall. Elated and screaming in, well, elation, I quickly clicked on the Assault and shot down Laser no problem. I clicked on Powerball and scored 9 goals against the Galdiator trio. I clicked on the joust and knocked Thunder off with my Pugo Stick, and FINALLY collided with Gemini to win the Human Cannonball.

I yelled for anyone in the near area to come and see what the Eliminator looked like. It was an Easter Miracle, better than anything that damn bunny has ever put in my basket.

I waited and held my breath... only to see my screen reset at "Level two," expecting me to beat all the events again, only this time they would be more difficult.

No Eliminator. No Easter Miracle. Damn Bunny.

No comments: