Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Buy Pile Report

Not too much came out on Wednesday that really caught my interest, but the two titles I mentioned earlier did not disappoint...

I'll warn you all right now, there are spoliers here. So, if you need to cup your hands and put on the earmuffs, go right ahead.

Highlight of the week, for me, has to be the new Justice League headquarters. When I flipped the page and saw the return of the old-school Hall of Justice, I damn near cheered out loud. I mean, this is a building I still have a toy of sitting on my shelf, from the old "Super Powers" series of toys. I can once again re-enact all of the JLA's adventures! I mean... if I still did that sort of thing...

And the fact that Brad Meltzer combined the old-school Hall with the new-school space watchtower, it was a simply perfect choice.

I mentioned earlier how I was looking forward to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman getting put in their place in this issue -- well the way Meltzer executed it could not have been stronger, with Hal and Dinah taking the reins right out of the Big Three's hands.

And you have to love the relationship between Hal, Dinah and Roy, as well as Ollie behind the scenes.

But, was it just mine, or does every issue have one page printed out of order? I'm curious if any of you out there has a copy perfectly in order.

Now then, Fallen Son. I'm going to give Loeb the benefit of the doubt here, for having gone through the grief process he is so personally writing about. Because if I don't give Loeb the benefit of the doubt for an ultra-intelligent characterization of Wolverine, I would have to call it the worst Wolverine writing I have read in a while. Because, as much as I am no fan of Logan, or James, or whatever he goes by nowadays, he's much smarter than to try to give Crossbones a gun just so he could kill him and claim self-defense. It's moronic, and more than that, it's not Wolverine's style.

Which is why I am giving the benefit of the doubt here, that Loeb is writing a Wolverine so overcome with grief that he is looking for any sort of desperate justification he can. And, after reading this issue for a second time, I really think this is where Loeb was going. And, it was enough to make me decide I'll be buying the second issue of this tie-in.

I would have, however, liked to have seen more attention given to the interaction between Wolverine and Tony Stark, but I can live without it.

Well, those are my impressions, all other thoughts on this week's books are welcome!

No comments: