Thursday, April 12, 2007

Buy Pile Report

Sorry for the lengthy wait on the Report, been too busy all night not working that I could not get to a computer... and then once I was at a computer I got caught up reading all 60 comments on the latest entry in "The Odd Couple" blog...

OK, I didn't actually read all 60, I more just skimmed to see what the hell was going on that there were 60 comments -- but still, you kids can't give me one comment and Chrissie and Sarah are able to get 60 -- What's up with that?

Anyway, on to the books, and while there was nothing Earth-shattering this week, all I can say is they REALLY should not have taken away Doc Magnus' Meds.

Honestly, there have not been many better panels in recent comic history as good as Magnus' "I told you I do crazy things without my meds" badass panel in 52 week 49.

The most important part for DC selling the idea of World War III is convincing readers that one man can be powerful enough and important enough to incite an entire war on his own. Following this week, I can safely say that they have successfully made Black Adam into such a character, between the several different sides that all have a stake in whether or not Adam lives or dies, and his own justifiable Rage. And it all just has my anticipation for this event at its peak.

There was also an interesting development in Uncanny X-Men #485, as (earmuffs now kids, spoilers coming) Vulcan officially married into the Shi'ar Empire, and promptly assassinated D'ken to claim the throne for himself. This, to me, makes for the most promising long-term bad guy in the X-Men Universe since Mr. Sinister first hit the scene.

A Summers progeny, with endless power and endless hatred for Xavier, in control of the Shi'ar Empire? I mean, the possibilities for storylines here are endless. The only thing tempering my enthusiasm here is Brubaker has stated that the space fun ends with the next issue... if Vulcan was going to be in power for an extended period of time, would anyone be going home? Would the next big X-Crossover event involve Mr. Sinister, or would it involve the Shi'ar?

My curiosity here is pretty high. As I've said before, I LOVE the X-Men, and this would be exactly the type of development that could return them to the top of their game.

Two last quick notes: 1) I'm still digging the Teen Titans, but the whole "ex-Titans showing up and saving the day" thing is getting a bit old... 2) New X-Men was a good recap of who Illyana Rasputin is, but unnecessary for anyone that has read her in the past, or simply her Wikipedia page.

That's it for now, but I do have a couple good things up my sleeve for the coming days. In the meantime, get with the commenting! I want 61!

No comments: