Thursday, April 26, 2007

Buy Pile Report

Yes, I know, I'm even later than I thought I would be. I blame it on a combination of 1) A late night at the office, 2) A Large Buy Pile this week, and 3) The Mighty Ducks was just on TBS, and who can turn down watching the last half-hour of that?

Anyway, a whole lot of disappointment this week. And I preface that by saying I didn't read Justice Society #5 yet, since my copy of Justice League #8 (from last week, the lead in to JSA #5) has yet to arrive. That said, there is not much to say about any of what I read.

The second "Fallen Son" book came out, this one staring the Avengers, both Mighty and New, and what a waste of time this was. Last time, in "Fallen Son: Wolverine" I gave Jeph Loeb the benefit of the doubt on his writing, for being incredibly subtle. This second issue was incredibly blunt.

A quote from Namor: "What did you hope to accomplish, Carol Danvers? That if you best this wretched man to death, your heart would ease the pain of losing Captain America?"

The rest of the issue is not much better, with the Mighty Avengers at each other's necks while playing poker. We should just move on... you know, in respect for Cap...

Since Dwayne McDuffie took over the Fantastic Four, his work has been met with mixed reviews. On the one hand, he's delivered enjoyable stories, on the other, his characterizations are WAY off.

Issue #545 is more of the same. More space fun, with a good old scrum between the new FF and the Silver Surfer, but on the other hand you have Epoch making jokes about drugs and Thing using the word "Facetious." Isn't that one of those big words Ben makes fun of Reed for?

I'd much prefer McDuffie's writing if it were in a non-continuity book, like X-Men: First Class #8, which is also out this week. I love this title, and am thrilled it is becoming an on-going. This week's is just another fun adventure with the young original X-Men five trooping around in the jungle.

My favorite part of the book may have been the back page, though where writer Jeff Parker explained why he loves writing the title -- that he wanted to remind everyone of just how great and interesting each individual character can be. And I am all for a guy that thinks Cyclops can be "Cool."

The last books I'll talk about are the beginning of Amazons Attack (with Amazons Attack #1 and Wonder Woman #8). I was very optimistic for this event. Now I'm not so sure. In these too issues, not much happened. I mean, at all. Wonder Woman busted out of super-powered jail, and the Amazons Attacked in anger over Diana's imprisonment.

Oh, and for those of you mad at DC lately for graphic images of death, Amazons #1 is NOT for you.

If you're going to read this event, buy Amazons #1 but not WW #8, they both tell the same short story. Here's hoping this event gets much better FAST.

That's it for this week, as always, post your thoughts on what you read!

No comments: