Saturday, April 7, 2007

X-Men #200

Over at UncannyXmen.net there is an interview with X-Men writer Mike Carey, based mainly on plans for X-Men #200. You can read it here.

I take exception with some of what he says, though... mainly this: "I don’t think we’ve made any secret of the fact that this is an issue where the X-Men kind of get – to use a topical term – disassembled. We put them into a very extreme situation and we come out at the other end a long way from where we went in."

Now, I love the X-Men. I look for Red sunglasses every time I'm in a mall simply because Cyclops is my hero. Yeah, I'm that much of a geek. That said, I haven't been too happy with their titles recently because the tone is just so bleak. I, in fact, dropped X-Men from the buy pile due to the tone and due to Chris Bachalo's art (how anybody likes his stuff is beyond me).

So, to say that the X-Men will now be "Disassembled" really makes me nervous for the next few years of the title.

I'm sick of it. At the start of the "Astonishing" series, Joss Whedon mentioned the need for the X-Men to bring back the tights and get back out into the public eye -- maybe Joey Q and the guys at the X-Office should do the same.

I am at the point now where I would love for all the books to get just a bit brighter, and more in the public-super-heroic-hero style. Let them go 'save the day' for a while, instead of battle depression.

At least for a few months, please! Then I'll be ready for another disaster.

No comments: