Wednesday, April 25, 2007

This week's comic expectations

I will admit, I know very little of Wonder Woman's mythos, and even less about what she's been up to lately. The character has just been handled poorly over the years, and what I've heard lately is no exception.

BUT, for some reason I am excited about this "Amazons Attack" event beginning on Wednesday with Wonder Woman #8 and Amazons Attack #1. As I said, I know very little about the current events, but the idea of all the Amazons suddenly exploding with rage for all of MANkind is appealing to me in nothing more than a 'what a cool idea!' way. I mean, for years we've heard about how strong a warrior race they are -- well now we are apparently going to get to see it in action.

And it doesn't hurt that the solicitations are pointing toward Wonder Girl and Supergirl teaming up to play a large role in this whole thing. I'm a big fan of Cassie Sandsmark, and she has been due to be a major player in an event. With how Connor's death has affected her, Wonder Girl is a more interesting character than ever. And I would LOVE to see this all culminate with Supergirl joining the Teen Titans as Connor's replacement... Robin probably wouldn't mind it either...

A couple of my favorite books are coming out this week too, Justice Society #5 (if I have to say ANYTHING to sell this book, you have been living under a rock) and X-Men: First Class #8. First Class is the most fun X-book on the market right now, with little care for continuity and self-contained stories in each issue. Quite the breath of fresh air.

And if you haven't been reading Alex Ross' "Justice" series (Justice #11 is out Wednesday) I wouldn't start now. It's been coming out bi-monthly and concludes with issue #12. That said, you would be wise to buy the Collections and read it. Volume one, with issues 1-6, is out already.

As always, post any and all thoughts you have on this week's action. Good Luck surviving the Amazons!

No comments: