Wednesday, April 4, 2007

This week's comic expectations

So there are two main books I am expecting a lot out of this week...

1 - Justice League #7: It seems like either you loved Brad Meltzer's first six issues on the title or you hated them. Generally those who are unhappy were so because of the slow pace of the book -- one of my biggest pet peeves of the industry today, by the way.
But I am loving Meltzer's stuff. I think the pacing has been spot-on perfect, not too slow but still giving plenty of room for the story to breathe. It's been perfect for this first arc especially, since he has very carefully brought the pieces of the team together.
Why I am excited for Issue 7 is, this is the issue where the team becomes official. And when the team is official, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman get to finally realize just how self-centered and egotistical they have been, believing they had the right to pic and choose who is worthy to be in their league. There's nothing I like more than seeing infallible characters get knocked down a peg or two.

2 - Fallen Son: Wolverine: As I've said before, I'm sick of Marvel's constant need to tie-in to death. Ordinarily, this tie-in would fit into this category. And especially since I am no fan of Wolverine post-1989, Ordinarily I would be running away from this title in a hurry.
But Jeph Loeb is writing this one -- and more than that, this was a project Loeb practically created from scratch -- because with the death of his son, this is a topic he is going to put his heart into.
Each issue of this 5-part fallout from Cap's death will deal with a stage of grief -- again, Loeb's idea. When a project is this personal to a good writer, it cannot help but be a great story. Or at least worth giving a read.

So once I work through my buy pile I'll be posting my thoughts, and everyone is welcome to do the same.

No comments: